⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Dealing with large numbers of flag values in netcdf cf

From: John Graybeal <graybeal>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 12:16:17 -0700

Love the question! :->

Are you saying every map location has one index value, which is one of
the numbers from 1 to 827? So these are mutually exclusive? Or are
there 827 flag values assigned independently for each map location?

When I wrestled with something similar to the latter case, I wished
for a pseudo-standard name that just indicated these were flag values
(and not anything else). But in the end, if we agree that the purpose
of the standard name is to decide if two data values can be compared,
it seems to me you really have 827 different parameters. (It isn't
like these are flag values about some other data item in your data
set, is it?) The fact they are all flags is really just a notation
about how the information is stored.

John

--------------
I have my new work email address: jgraybeal at ucsd.edu