⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Missing standard names related to ocean waves

From: Fabrice Ardhuin <fabrice.ardhuin>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 20:24:25 +0000

Dear CF users,
I have been producing for a few years some "exotic" parameters that do
not show up in the list of standard names. My data archive people would
thus like to have some new standard names approved.

Here are the parameters and suggested standard names:

1. Directional spread (defined from the full spectrum, see Kuik et al.
J. Phys. Oceanogr. 1988) :
_
_|_sea_surface_wave_directional_spread_from_first_moments
<javascript:void(0)>_

|The wave directional spectrum can be written as a five dimensional
function S(t,x,y,f,theta) where t is time, x and y are horizontal
coordinates (such as longitude and latitude), f is frequency and theta
is direction. S has the standard name
sea_surface_wave_directional_variance_spectral_density. S can be
multiplied by cos(theta) and integrated over direction to give a1=
integral(S*cos(theta) dtheta), likewise b1=integral(S*sin(theta)
dtheta). After defining m1=sqrt(a1^2+b1^2), the directional spread is
then, in radians, s1=sqrt(2*(1-m1)). This value is usually converted to
degrees as s1=sqrt(2*(1-m1))*180/pi .

2 and 3: Surface Stokes drift vector:

|sea_surface_wave_Stokes_eastward_drift <javascript:void(0)>
|
|Drift induced by short surface gravity waves (wind waves and swell) in
the east direction

||sea_surface_wave_Stokes_northward_drift <javascript:void(0)>
|
|Drift induced by short surface gravity waves (wind waves and swell) in
the north direction

4 and 5: Wave-induced volume transport

|sea_surface_wave_Stokes_eastward_transport <javascript:void(0)>
|
|Volume transport induced by short surface gravity waves (wind waves and
swell) in the east direction

||sea_surface_wave_Stokes_northward_transport <javascript:void(0)>
|
|Volume transport induced by short surface gravity waves (wind waves and
swell) in the north direction

6 and 7: Surface slope moments

|sea_surface_wave_east_west_mean_square_slope <javascript:void(0)>

Mean square of the sea surface slopes in the east-west direction

|sea_surface_wave_north_south_mean_square_slope <javascript:void(0)>

Mean square of the sea surface slopes in the north-south direction

8. Wind to waves energy flux :

atmosphere_to_sea_surface_wave_energy_flux_per_unit_area

Flux of energy from the wind to waves per unit area of the sea surface.

9. waves to ocean energy flux :

sea_surface_wave_to_ocean_energy_flux_per_unit_area

Flux of energy from the the surface waves to the ocean turbulence per
unit area of the sea surface.

10 and 11: Same thing for momentum components:

sea_surface_wave_to_ocean_eastward_momentum_flux_per_unit_area

Eastward momentum flux from the the surface waves to the ocean current
per unit area of the sea surface.

sea_surface_wave_to_ocean_northward_momentum_flux_per_unit_area

Northward momentum flux from the the surface waves to the ocean current
per unit area of the sea surface.

12 to 15: Sea bottom agitation parameters:

sea_surface_wave_root_mean_square_amplitude_of_bottom_velocity

Root mean square amplitude of bottom orbital velocity induced by surface
gravity waves.

sea_surface_wave_bottom_velocity_mean_direction

Mean direction of bottom orbital velocity induced by surface gravity waves.

sea_surface_wave_root_mean_square_amplitude_of_bottom_displacement_magnitude

Magnitude of root mean square amplitude of bottom orbital displacements
induced by surface gravity waves.

sea_surface_wave_bottom_displacement_mean_direction

Mean direction of bottom orbital displacement induced by surface gravity
waves.

That's all for now.

Thanks,

Fabrice

--
                     ICA Fabrice Ardhuin (Dr, HDR)
        SHOM/HOM/REC         ---    French Naval Oceanographic Center