⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Sea water velocity

From: Stephane TAROT <Stephane.Tarot>
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2009 12:55:01 +0200

Jonathan,

Thanks for your response.

> What do mean by "direction"? Is that just a sign - inward or outward? We
> don't currently have a standard name for this, but we do have many standard
> names for Xward_sea_water_velocity, and also
> radial_velocity_of_scatterers_away_from_instrument:m s-1
> so by analogy with these I would propose
> radial_sea_water_velocity_away_from_instrument:m s-1
> which specifies the sign convention. If you prefer the opposite convention,
> it could be
> radial_sea_water_velocity_towards_instrument:m s-1

The radial direction is the direction the radar is looking at (in
angular degrees, clockwise, with 0=north).
For each grid point at the west of the radar, the direction value is
270, increasing for the grid points at the north west,
and decreasing for the grid points ? the south west.
It is not a permanent link, but you can find a picture sample at
http://cjoint.com/?kfmqEku6Aj

I agree with radial_sea_water_velocity_away_from_instrument: m s-1.

> This is done by adding a modifier to the standard name. See CF 3.3, Appendix C
> and 3.4.

Ok. I noticed those chapters, but it was not clear to me that standard
error is the same as the approximation error.
I thought that standard error refers to statistics.

> Standard name are always optional, so you don't have to assign one. They are
> useful if you want to identify the data for other users, of course. Possibly
> you could do this by labelling the mask as a status_flag variable (App C).
> A more usual way to supply the valid data mask is of course to use missing
> data values in the data variable.

I agree with the status_flag variable, but it applies to several data
variables. For example, I have only
one flag variable witch applies to both northward and eastward sea water
velocity varaibles. What is
the correct standard name for such a status_flag variable ?

> We would need a new standard name for those, I think. Would
> east|northward_sea_water_velocity_assuming_no_tide:m s-1
> indicate what you meant? We often using assuming_X to indicate a recalculation
> without some effect e.g. assuming_clear_sky.

assuming_no_tide seems a good solution to me.

Thanks,

St?phane Tarot