⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] [Glimmer-cism-devel] Standard names for Glaciology and ice-sheet modeling

From: AJ Payne, Geographical Sciences <A.J.Payne>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 09:59:00 +0100

dear all

agreed ice shelves are clearly more closely connected to land ice than other elements of
the earth system (certainly not sea ice).

i think the cover type mask in glimmer-cism needs to be extended in order to make the
application of higher order models easier. as a minimum:

open ocean
ice-free land
ice covered land
- slow flowing ice
- ice streams/outlet glaciers
ice shelves

if possible it would be helpful to use the mask to contain information on boundary types
- it would be helpful to have an easy identify for grounding line points, points at the
marine edge of an ice shelf, boundaries of ice streams etc etc.

all the best

tony

--On 2009-09-30 09:28 +0100 Magnus Hagdorn <Magnus.Hagdorn at ed.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Wed, 2009-09-30 at 09:17 +0100, Jonathan Gregory wrote:
>> Dear all
>>
>> Though I too agree with Bryan's point in general, and usually I would argue
>> for using aliases and retaining backward compatibility, I think we are worrying
>> too much about this case. I do not think any inconvenience will be caused by
>> redefining these names. I think the reason it's being asked about now is
>> because this is the first time anyone's really thought about wanting to make
>> a distinction between grounded ice and ice-shelves. Also, if we stick with
>> "land ice" meaning "grounded land ice", it's going to be a real nuisance to
>> think of another familiar and obvious term which means "grounded land ice and
>> ice shelves".
>>
>> So I stick with my suggestion that we use "land ice" to mean grounded and
>> ice-shelf. Does anyone else have a view about this from the point of view of
>> land-ice modelling?
>
> Hi all,
> sorry I kept silent for so long. I agree with Jonathan. Let's broaden
> the definition of land ice to include ice shelves. I think we should
> also have a land_ice_mask which further specifies what kind of ice we
> are talking about. this should probably be a bit mask so we can mix
> concepts (is that possible?):
> * grounded ice
> * floating ice
> * ice stream
>
> if a cell is both grounded and floating we know it contains the
> grounding line.
>
> cheers
> magi
>
> added to large CC list the glimmer-cism-devel mailing list
>

> --

Tony Payne
School of Geographical Sciences,
University of Bristol,