⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] [Glimmer-cism-devel] Standard names for Glaciology and ice-sheet modeling

From: Jed Brown <jed>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 11:53:20 +0200

Magnus Hagdorn wrote:
> However, I think it might be useful to include some way of
> distinguishing between floating and grounded ice: I can well imagine
> that observations could provide this observation in which case we must
> be able to record this.

Perhaps we should wait until we have these observations to define a
standard. But, if you want a good way to resolve the grounding line, I
would suggest using a signed distance function. You can of course get
this easily by solving an Eikonal equation, and it provides subgrid
resolution, reliable normals, and information which is useful in its own
right.

Jed