⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF names / inherent optical properties in seawater

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 18:34:11 +0100

Dear Fr?d?ric

Your proposed names

volume_backwards_scattering_coefficient_of_radiative_flux_in_sea_water_due_to_particles
volume_absorption_coefficient_of_radiative_flux_in_sea_water_due_to_phytoplankton
volume_absorption_coefficient_of_radiative_flux_in_sea_water_due_to_dissolved_organic_matter_and_non_algal_particles
volume_absorption_coefficient_of_radiative_flux_in_sea_water_due_to_non_algal_particles

for quantities with units of m-1 appear to be consistent with what we already
have, and I think they are clear.

> Finally, should names start with "volume_spectral_..." to state that
> the quantities are expressed at a specific wavelength?

The definition of the existing names says that they are assumed to be an
integral over all wavelengths unless the wavelength range is specified, which
can be done by adding a scalar or size-1 coordinate variable with standard_name
of radiation_wavelength. The bounds of this coordinate variable would contain
the wavelength range. However it would be appropriate to insert "spectral" into
the standard name if the quantity is actually per unit wavelength. In that case
the unit would be m-2 (i.e. volume absorption/scattering coeff in m-1, per
unit wavelength range in m).