⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Conventions (vs. Community Profiles), and CF-checker

From: Kettleborough, Jamie <jamie.kettleborough>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 16:36:51 +0100

Hello,

I think there is another concrete example of a profile/extension that
could provide some input on how this should be handled? Or at least
shows how it is handled in this particular case. (Sorry if this has
come up before).

All the data prepared for CMIP5 will go through CMOR. Applications
using this data can

1. assume certain characteristics which are more limited than full blown
CF (e.g. one variable per file, dimensions in a defined order) - I
*think* this makes it a profile.

2. use CMOR specific attributes, some of which are from controlled
vocabs, to help identify/describe the data (e.g. 'experiment',
'model_id'), or identify the rules used to constrain the output
('project_id', 'table_id') - I *think* this makes it an extension.

3. 'rely' on a naming convention for files - though obviously this one
is easy, in principle, to break, though in practice I don't know if it
is very often. (but this is kind of a side track)

I *think* the way to recognise that a file has been produced by cmor is
through the 'cmor_version:'. So I think in this case its more like
Steve's proposal of 'OceanSitesConventionsVersion'. I don't know if
this is/will be used in practice (e.g. by the CMIP5 file ingestion
software) to help process data.

Obviously anyone who knows more about CMOR and using data produced from
CMOR please correct anything I have wrong.

Jamie