⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Radar backscatter and dB

From: Steve Emmerson <steve>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 09:08:53 -0600

Dear CF people,

Jonathan Gregory wrote:

> Subject: [CF-metadata] Radar backscatter and dB
> Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 13:25:39 +0100
> From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory at reading.ac.uk>
> To: cf-metadata at cgd.ucar.edu
>
> Dear Helen
>
> dB is not a udunit but we are using it in CF anyway. We have the
> intention to
> produce our own version of udunits.dat, but that's not been done yet.

The original UDUNITS package doesn't support logarithmic units. The
replacement UDNITS-2 package *does* support logarithmic units --
including "dBZ".

The UDUNITS-2 package doesn't have a Fortran interface, however. If you
are a Fortran-2003 expert and would like to collaborate to create an
interface module, then I would love to hear from you.

Regards,
Steve Emmerson
UDUNITS Developer