⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Radar backscatter and dB

From: Helen Snaith <h.snaith>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 09:56:25 +0100

Hi

I may simply be unable to find this discussion, as I'm sure it must
have been raised, if so, I apologise in advance!

Along with many others, I'm generating products for satellite
altimetry (and SAR) data, and want to make CF compliant files.
One of the key variables is (normalised) radar backscatter, commonly
referred to as sigma-0.
As far as I know, the only units used for this are dB, but this is not
a recognised unit. Are there any plans to incorporate this? or is
there an appropriate alternative?

thanks
Helen

Helen
---
Dr. Helen Snaith
Head of Scientific Data Management
     254/23 National Oceanography Centre, Southampton
     European Way, Southampton, SO14 3ZH, UK
     Tel: +44 (0)23 8059 6410    Fax: +44 (0)23 8059 6400
     e-mail: h.snaith at noc.soton.ac.uk
This e-mail (and any attachments) is confidential and intended solely
for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. Both
NERC and the University of Southampton (who operate NOCS as a
collaboration) are subject to the Freedom of Information Act 2000. The
information contained in this e-mail and any reply&nbsp; you make may
be disclosed unless it is legally exempt from disclosure. Any material
supplied to NOCS may be stored in the electronic records management
system of either the University or NERC as appropriate.