⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Standard name for peak wave period

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 09:16:17 +0100

Dear Jenny

> Yes I think it would be correct to describe the peak wave period as:
> sea_surface_wave_period_at_maximum_variance_spectral_density
> but I'm not sure if it should be
> sea_surface_wave_period_at_peak_variance_spectral_density
>
> The existing names use "mean" in the standard names for the mean periods so should "peak" not "maximum" be used for the peak Period?

To be honest I am not sure why the existing names say "wave_mean_period" - do
you understand what "mean" means there?

"maximum" is the word used in cell_methods for a peak, so it appeared
consistent to me to use it here. It could be
   sea_surface_wave_period_at_variance_spectral_density_maximum
if you think that would be better - that's actually (even) more consistent
with the phrasing of existing names.