⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Cell methods - depth mean

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 09:46:52 +0100

Dear Jenny

> In my data I have lat, long, time and the depth-mean east,north-velocities. I guess I need to attach the cell_methods attribute to the velocity variable. e.g. cell_methods="ocean_sigma_coordinate:mean"

Yes, that's right, except there should be a space after ":".

> Do I then create an ocean_sigma_coordinate variable (with correct dimensions and values) and attach a bounds attribute?
> e.g. ocean_sigma_coordinate : bounds = " sigma_coordinate_bnds"

Yes. But since this is a depth-mean, the coordinate variable will have size
one, not 32 or however many levels you have. This is not the usual vertical
coordinate. It's a "collapsed" vertical coordinate included specially in order
to indicate the limits of the vertical mean. As an alternative to a size-one
dimension and coordinate variable, CF allows a scalar coordinate variable
named by the coordinates attribute.

The value of the size-one or scalar coord variable is a bit arbitrary. It is
a representative sigma value. The important information is the bounds. They
should be the sigma values of the top and bottom of the vertical mean.

Cheers

Jonathan