⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Conventions vs. Community Profiles

From: Nan Galbraith <ngalbraith>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 16:32:11 -0400

John Caron wrote:
> With regard to
>
> Conventions = "CF-1.4, XBT-1.0"
>
> I'd ask, what semantics does "XBT-1.0" imply that "CF-1.4" doesnt ?
> Because something not in CF means that its not interoperable with CF
> clients.

We are doing something like this for OceanSITES, and yes, the
extra information in the Conventions attribute is important to us.

The files are CF compliant, so 'CF-1.4' in this attribute tells the
user he can use any code that reads CF to read them. The
'OceanSITES 1.1' in the attribute tells the user about some additional
restrictions and assumptions he can make.

For better or worse, we hard-wire some features (e.g. reference date),
and add some restrictions (e.g. units) , in order to simplify the code that
reads these files. This makes NetCDF a little less daunting for people
who haven't used it before, or who might find its flexibility a problem
rather than a feature.

- Nan

* Nan Galbraith                        (508) 289-2444 *
* Upper Ocean Processes Group            Mail Stop 29 *
* Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution                *
* Woods Hole, MA 02543                                *