⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] [CF Metadata] #37: Conventions for Point Observation Data

From: Martina Stockhause <martina.stockhause>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 13:44:12 +0200

Dear John, dear Heinke,

I would support Heinke's idea of generalizing the definition for 'profiles', so that it can be applied to microscale measurements as well. Apart from scintillometer data, data from optical methods like DOAS or FTIR can be delivered as horizontal profiles as well.

Using the proposal for the description of our weather mast data (http://wettermast-hamburg.zmaw.de/index.htm; click to the english version), I was misled by the name 'stationTimeSeries'. What is described in the proposal, is more the time series of a single instrument at a station than the data of the whole station due to the fixed altitude. Normally, a station's position is described geographically (lon/lat) and the measurements supply data in different observation heights.

E.g. we measure with 30 different instruments standard meteorological parameters in multiple heights and additionally examine cloud heights and rain by profile measurements. Therefore the station data would be an aggregation of 'stationTimeSeries' and 'stationProfileTimeSeries' according to the present proposal.

In the referenced document (http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/caron/papers/obs2.pdf) the vertical coordinate is defined as a variable for time series of station data.
Could we make the altitude in stationTimeSeries variable?
If not: Do you have a suggestion how I could apply the proposal for data of more then one measurement instrument, i.e. different measurement heights of the parameters?

Thanks a lot and best wishes,
Martina