⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Rotated-pole grids

From: Seth McGinnis <mcginnis>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 13:57:04 -0600

Rich,

There aren't any best practices documents that I'm aware of. In theory, if
it's CF-compliant, it should be readable. It's just that ArcMap's NetCDF
capabilities are still new, so it still has some kinks. ESRI is relying on the
(small) user community to report bugs in the implementation so they can be
fixed.

The two major issues I've found working with it are: (1) Projection parameters
need to be specified as doubles. If they're specified as floats, they get read
in as garbage values very near zero. And (2) it may not know what to do with
the Rotated Pole projection system. I haven't had a chance to delve deeply
into it, though, so I'm still not certain that it's a GIS problem; it could be
that we still don't quite have the metadata correct in those files.

I do have examples. The standard NARCCAP files are quite large and require
registration to access, but I can put something together for you to look at in
pretty short order. Is there anything in particular that would be important to
include?

--Seth