⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] salinity units

From: Helen Snaith <h.snaith>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 10:30:15 +0100

to throw in an oceanographers viewpoint...

measured salinity has no units - it is determined from conductivity
and has no relationship to ppt, ppm psu or any other unit.
10-3 seems very dangerous (and equally wrong)

the only 'units' used recently (officially) are to state 'pss78' to
define that salinity has been determined from the practical salinity
scale, 1978.

In the UNESCO report (UNESCO (1985) The international system of units
(SI) in oceanography, UNESCO Technical Papers No. 45, IAPSO Pub. Sci.
No. 32, Paris, France.) you can see (pages 43 / 44) that the 10-3
units was from an older definition of salinity and definitely should
NOT be used when using pss78.

Having said that, I understand that there is a lot of work going on at
the moment to redefine salinity, and that this is likely to 'relink'
conductivity measurements and salt concentrations, so we are likely to
get a salinity units again soon (but this is an oceanographic soon -
faster than an geological one, but not by much)

Helen

On 17 Jun 2009, at 09:19, Lowry, Roy K wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> Might be worth looking at http://www.oceanographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=902
>
> Cheers, Roy.
>

> --
> This message (and any attachments) is for the recipient only. NERC
> is subject to the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and the contents
> of this email and any reply you make may be disclosed by NERC unless
> it is exempt from release under the Act. Any material supplied to
> NERC may be stored in an electronic records management system.
> --
> believed to be clean. <ATT00001.txt>

Helen
---
Dr. Helen Snaith
Head of Scientific Data Management
     254/23 National Oceanography Centre, Southampton
     European Way, Southampton, SO14 3ZH, UK
     Tel: +44 (0)23 8059 6410    Fax: +44 (0)23 8059 6400
     e-mail: h.snaith at noc.soton.ac.uk
This e-mail (and any attachments) is confidential and intended solely
for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. Both
NERC and the University of Southampton (who operate NOCS as a
collaboration) are subject to the Freedom of Information Act 2000. The
information contained in this e-mail and any reply&nbsp; you make may
be disclosed unless it is legally exempt from disclosure. Any material
supplied to NOCS may be stored in the electronic records management
system of either the University or NERC as appropriate.