⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Query on multiple variables with same standard names

From: Helen Snaith <h.snaith>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 15:27:32 +0100

Dear all

being new to the CF-Group, and to defining products using CF
conventions, I have what may be a rather basic question
- is it permissible to have more than one variable in a CF compliant
file with the same standard name?

My particular application is in satellite altimetry, where I have one
file containing (eg) two different wet tropospheric correction
variables, one determined from a microwave radiometer and one from an
atmospheric model. Both are
"altimeter_range_correction_due_to_wet_troposphere"

Similarly, I have 6 different ionospheric correction variables - one
each determined from the altimetric ranges, DORIS measurements and an
ionospheric model, and to be applied to each of the 2 radar frequency
ranges.
This brings me to the worse case - where I have 12 different range
values - from each of the 2 frequencies, determined using 5 different
signal tracking techniques, and at two different spatial resolutions.

Should I simply use the same standard name for all of them? or is
there a sensible qualifier I can use that won't break the conventions?

Any suggestions gratefully received

Thanks
Helen

Helen
---
Dr. Helen Snaith
Head of Scientific Data Management
     254/23 National Oceanography Centre, Southampton
     European Way, Southampton, SO14 3ZH, UK
     Tel: +44 (0)23 8059 6410    Fax: +44 (0)23 8059 6400
     e-mail: h.snaith at noc.soton.ac.uk
This e-mail (and any attachments) is confidential and intended solely
for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. Both
NERC and the University of Southampton (who operate NOCS as a
collaboration) are subject to the Freedom of Information Act 2000. The
information contained in this e-mail and any reply&nbsp; you make may
be disclosed unless it is legally exempt from disclosure. Any material
supplied to NOCS may be stored in the electronic records management
system of either the University or NERC as appropriate.