⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Proposal for additional CF biogeochemistry attributes

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 08:15:31 +0100

Dear Philip and Bruce

> In the atmosphere CF has used 'mole_fraction_' to designate mole/mole
> quantities.
>
> Hence, perhaps we should use
> MOLE_FRACTION_of_nitrate_to_phosphate_in_sea_water here?
>
> The counter argument is that, in every existing CF std name I could find,
> mol_fraction_ is always the mole ratio of the species to air.

> Hence, I think the question boils down to: Do we want to create a new
> prefix (ie 'mole_ratio_') for ratios of species to species (as opposed to
> the ratio of species to medium)?

Yes, I think that would be a good choice, for instance a pattern
  mole_ratio_of_X_to_Y_in_sea_water
or perhaps
  mole_mixing_ratio_of_X_to_Y_in_sea_water
by analogy to four existing standard names that use the phrase mixing_ratio.

> (They also seem to prefer expressing oxygen concentration in
> ml/l, by the way.)

One of these four is the existing standard name
  volume_mixing_ratio_of_oxygen_at_stp_in_sea_water
which I think is just what you want i.e. the ratio of the volume of oxygen gas
at STP to the volume of water it is dissolved in.