⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new standard name request for pH

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 09:10:10 +0100

Dear Roy

I agree with what you say. But John and his colleague tell us that it is not
possible simply to describe the difference between pH total scale and sea-water
scale. Like you, I suggested that they could be described as being just [H+],
or the sum of [H+] and other ions, but that's not right, apparently (and I am
certainly not an expert). John says

"There are several systems for measuring pH in sea water,
and this one [total scale] best takes into account the chemistry and other
interactions at the depths we make these observations."

Their opinion is that pH is always measuring the same geophysical quantity,
but that it is hard to measure. In turn, that might be because it is hard to
define just what pH really is; I have to admit that it is not clear to me from
what I have read. If you know others who could help us with this, that would
be great.