⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new standard name request for pH

From: John Graybeal <graybeal>
Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 16:47:43 -0700

Jonathan,

No worries, I think we are zeroing in on the key points now. Though I
don't yet know how ocean chemists will feel about the end results!
But I appreciate the thorough analysis brought to the issue.

In your option (1) (sea_water_pH universally), it isn't clear to me
what other attribute would indicate the scale difference. I had
understood that if the standard name and units were the same, CF users
would assume the data could be exchanged, from a numerical standpoint
anyway. If that is true, or if the specific attribute where this scale
information must be entered, and the controlled vocabulary to use, is
not specified, option (1) does not seem attractive. The likely outcome
would be the attribute is unspecified or ambiguous, rendering the
associated values useless to many potential users of the data.

In case (2) (different geophysical quantities), we may be a little
stuck. I quote from my own ocean chemist: "as an ocean chemist, I know
EXACTLY what is meant by sea_water_pH_total_scale, and so do all the
other ocean chemists." He believes other terminology will be opaque
and ambiguous, and therefore essentially useless. As I understand the
situation, the entire system of related chemistry in sea water is
considered different depending on which scale is in use, so it is a
pervasive concept in this domain, not simply an obscure name for this
one measurement.

Since I am unable to personally verify this last assertion with all
those other ocean chemists, and you might not want to take my word for
it anyway, it may be that you would like to verify this perspective
with other experts in the domain? (I can provide some names offline if
you would like to do that.) I think the reason to consider doing so
in this case is that if there is indeed some ambiguity in the name you
choose, then it may apply equally well in the future to a different
scale, and this would be problematic.

If, after such a discussion, or regardless of that point, you choose a
name that seems more appropriate to you, we can always create our
preferred name in another vocabulary and map it to yours. (Eventually
I am sure the CF convention will support this technique in an embedded
way. :->) So all is not lost, so long as the definition makes clear
that the name you choose refers precisely to sea water pH total
scale. Such an approach seems sufficiently usable to me, and we can
bear the brunt of name translation for our cadre of ocean chemists.

John