⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new standard name request for pH

From: Lowry, Roy K <rkl>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 09:29:19 +0100

Dear Jonathan,

The two pH variants I knew of before I prodded John for information were NBS, which is based on hydrogen ion concentration per unit volume (moles/litre), and free scale based on hydrogen ion concentration per unit mass (moles/kg). Both of these are what I would consider to be 'pure' pH based solely on the abundance of hydrogen ions. So, what to call them? Could we go with:

pH_per_unit_mass_in_sea_water for free scale
pH_per_unit_volume_in_sea_water for NBS

This follows the precedent set by Standard Names such as 'moles_of_silicate_per_unit_mass_in_sea_water'

As for the other two variants I agree with Jonanthan that they need to have more explicit naming, maybe along the lines of:

mole_concentration_of_H_and_HSO4_per_unit_mass_in_sea_water_expressed_as_pH
mole_concentration_of_H_and_HSO4_and_HF_per_unit_mass in_sea_water_expressed_as_pH

These are more 'Standard Essays' than 'Standard Names' but they tell somebody with my level of chemistry instantly what's going on whereas 'pH_seawater_scale' would have me searching out references.

Another question I would ask now that I've been educated by John's input is whether for the purposes of CF we need all four or could we just have the first two?

Cheers, Roy.