⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF standard names for echam5-hammoz model(aerosol-chemistry-climate)

From: Pamment, JA <alison.pamment>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 12:35:02 +0100

Dear Heinke, Christiane, Jonathan and Luca,

Please see below for my comments on the status of all the proposed names
in this thread, with the exception of the optical_thickness names which
I have addressed in a separate posting.

atmosphere_number_content_of_X
******************************
atmosphere_number_content_of_cloud_droplets; m-2
atmosphere_number_content_of_ice_crystals; m-2
atmosphere_number_content_of_aerosol_particles; m-2

I understand these names to mean the total number of particles
integrated throughout the atmospheric column, in which case it is
correct to use the 'atmosphere' term, rather than 'in_air'. I have
commented on the position of 'atmosphere' in standard names in a
separate posting to the "medium 'atmosphere'" thread, but to summarize,
I think we are agreed that it belongs at the beginning of the name. For
these reasons, I think these three names can now be accepted.

atmosphere_mass_content_of
***************************
atmosphere_mass_content_of_black_carbon_dry_aerosol; kg m-2
atmosphere_mass_content_of_dust_dry_aerosol; kg m-2
atmosphere_mass_content_of_particulate_organic_matter_dry_aerosol; kg
m-2
atmosphere_mass_content_of_seasalt_dry_aerosol; kg m-2
atmosphere_mass_content_of_water_in_ambient_aerosol; kg m-2
atmosphere_mass_content_of_sulfate_expressed_as_sulfur_dry_aerosol; kg
m-2

As with the number content names, these are column integrated quantities
so it is correct to use 'atmosphere' at the beginning of the names.
These names are accepted.

_in_air
*******
mass_fraction_of_formaldehyde_in_air; 1
mass_fraction_of_methyl_hydroperoxide_in_air; 1
mass_fraction_of_carbon_monoxide_in_air; 1
mass_fraction_of_hydrogen_peroxide_in_air; 1
mass_fraction_of_sulfuric_acid_in_air; 1
mass_fraction_of_nitric_acid_in_air; 1
mass_fraction_of_dinitrogen_pentoxide_in_air; 1
mass_fraction_of_nitrogen_monoxide_in_air; 1
mass_fraction_of_nitrogen_dioxide_in_air; 1
mass_fraction_of_hydroxide_in_air; 1

All these names are agreed and accepted.

mass_fraction_of_hydroperoxyl_in_air; 1

We currently have a standard name of
mole_fraction_of_hydroperoxyl_radical_in_air - is this the same species
as hydroperoxyl or are they distinct? (I am happy to accept the name but
would like to be clear about the definition).

_in_air_of_atmosphere_layer
***************************
mass_fraction_of_ozone_in_air_of_atmosphere_layer; 1
mass_fraction_of_nitrogen_dioxide_in_air_of_atmosphere_layer; 1
mass_fraction_of_nitrogen_monoxide_in_air_of_atmosphere_layer; 1
mass_fraction_of_carbon_monoxide_in_air_of_atmosphere_layer; 1
mass_fraction_of_sulfur_dioxide_in_air_of_atmosphere_layer; 1

Jonathan, on 18 November 2008 asked for clarification of the difference
between these names and the corresponding 'in_air' names. I.e., what is
the difference between, say,
mass_fraction_of_ozone_in_air_of_atmosphere_layer and
mass_fraction_of_ozone_in_air? Is the former intended to be a quantity
integrated vertically over a layer?

mass_concentration_ _in_air
***************************
mass_concentration_of_pm2p5_dry_aerosol_in_air; kg m-3
mass_concentration_of_pm1_dry_aerosol_in_air; kg m-3
mass_concentration_of_sulfate_dry_aerosol_in_air; kg m-3
mass_concentration_of_dust_dry_aerosol_in_air; kg m-3
mass_concentration_of_seasalt_dry_aerosol_in_air; kg m-3
mass_concentration_of_black_carbon_dry_aerosol_in_air; kg m-3
mass_concentration_of_particulate_organic_matter_dry_aerosol_in_air; kg
m-3

Christiane queried the use of 'pm2p5' in a standard name. In fact we
already have the name mass_fraction_of_pm2p5_aerosol_in_air so I think
the new name is fine. All these names have been agreed and are
accepted.

There was some discussion of whether the canonical units of these names
should be kg m-3 or micrograms m-3. I think we have agreed on kg m-3,
which is the SI unit, and also that used for other mass concentration
names. UDunits-2 does support micrograms - grams is one of its 'derived
units' and micro=1e-6 is one of its 'prefixes'. The full range of
supported units is contained in a series of five XML files which can be
viewed at
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/udunits/udunits-2-units.html.
Following comments in this thread and in the 'physically equivalent
units' thread I will arrange for this information to be linked at the
top of the standard name table in the same way as the Guidelines are now
linked.

_due_to_dry_deposition
**********************
tendency_of_atmosphere_number_content_of_aerosol_particles_due_to_dry_de
position; m-2 s-2
tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_sulfate_expressed_as_sulfur_dry_a
erosol_due_to_dry_deposition; kg m-2 s-1

These are consistent with the atmosphere_number_content and
atmosphere_mass_content names agreed above and with existing standard
names. I note the agreement that 'expressed_as' should be attached to
the species to which it applies (see also my posting under the
'expressed_as' discussion thread). These names are accepted.

_due_to_emission
****************
tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_dry_aerosol_sulfur_expressed_as_s
ulfur_due_to_emission; kg m-2 s-1

To be consistent with the dry_deposition, gravitational_settling,
turbulent_deposition and wet_deposition names shouldn't this one read
tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_sulfur_expressed_as_sulfur_dry_ae
rosol_due_to_emission? I.e. move the 'dry_aerosol' after the species.

I note that there is still some discussion of the definition of this
name. Different models may include different aerosol species. In the
case of the Hammoz model the species represented by this name are SO2,
SO4 and DMS. In other models it may also include the species H2S and
COS. Heinke has asked whether this quantity is comparable between two
models that include differing species. Christiane has suggested that
the definition should state a requirement to specify which species are
included in a particular model. We have existing standard names for
families of species, e.g. mole_fraction_of_inorganic_chlorine_in_air,
mole_fraction_of_total_inorganic_bromine_in_air, whose definitions make
clear that their exact composition may vary between models. This
approach has also been agreed for the grouped chemical species in the
'CF standard names for chemical constituents and aerosols' thread
(Martina's GRIB2 proposals). Are we agreed that the same approach can
be used for this name?

_due_to_gravitational_settling
******************************
tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_black_carbon_dry_aerosol_due_to_g
ravitational_settling; kg m-2 s-1
tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_dust_dry_aerosol_due_to_gravitati
onal_settling; kg m-2 s-1
tendency_of_atmosphere_number_content_of_aerosol_particles_due_to_gravit
ational_settling; m-2 s-1
tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_particulate_organic_matter_dry_ae
rosol_due_to_gravitational_settling; kg m-2 s-1
tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_sulfate_expressed_as_sulfur_dry_a
erosol_due_to_gravitational_settling; kg m-2 s-1
tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_seasalt_dry_aerosol_due_to_gravit
ational_settling; kg m-2 s-1

All these names are accepted.

_due_to_wet_deposition
**********************
tendency_of_atmosphere_number_content_of_aerosol_particles_due_to_wet_de
position; m-2 s-1
tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_sulfate_expressed_as_sulfur_dry_a
erosol_due_to_wet_deposition; kg m-2 s-1

These names are accepted.

_due_to_turbulent_deposition
***************************************
tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_black_carbon_dry_aerosol_due_to_t
urbulent_deposition; kg m-2 s-1
tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_dust_dry_aerosol_due_to_turbulent
_deposition; kg m-2 s-1
tendency_of_atmosphere_number_content_of_aerosol_particles_due_to_turbul
ent_depostion; m-2 s-1
tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_particulate_organic_matter_dry_ae
rosol_due_to_turbulent_deposition; kg m-2 s-1
tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_sulfate_expressed_as_sulfur_dry_a
erosol_due_to_turbulent_deposition; kg m-2 s-1
tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_seasalt_dry_aerosol_due_to_turbul
ent_deposition; kg m-2 s-1

These names are accepted.

forcing
*******
In Christiane's posting of 1 March all the forcing names now refer to
ambient aerosol:

toa_instantaneous_shortwave_forcing_due_to_ambient_aerosol_assuming_clea
r_sky; W m-2
toa_instantaneous_shortwave_forcing_due_to_ambient_aerosol; W m-2
surface_instantaneous_shortwave_forcing_due_to_ambient_aerosol_assuming_
clear_sky; W m-2
surface_instantaneous_shortwave_forcing_due_to_ambient_aerosol; W m-2
toa_instantaneous_longwave_forcing_due_to_ambient_aerosol_assuming_clear
_sky; W m-2
toa_instantaneous_longwave_forcing_due_to_ambient_aerosol; W m-2
surface_instantaneous_longwave_forcing_due_to_ambient_aerosol_assuming_c
lear_sky; W m-2
surface_instantaneous_longwave_forcing_due_to_ambient_aerosol; W m-2

These names look fine. Are we all now agreed on the use of 'ambient'?

Aerosol asymmetry parameter
***************************
aerosol_asymmetry_parameter_of_atmosphere_layer; 1
atmosphere_aerosol_asymmetry_parameter; 1

The need for the layer name awaits a decision on whether to deprecate
the use of atmosphere_layer in favour of 'atmosphere' plus a vertical
coordinate variable and bounds. I have commented separately on this in
the medium 'atmosphere' thread.

Christiane has asked that both names specify dry or ambient aerosol. I
await clarification of this.

Aerosol refractive index
************************
atmosphere_aerosol_refractive_index_imaginary_part; 1
aerosol_refractive_index_imaginary_part_of_atmosphere_layer; 1
atmosphere_aerosol_refractive_index_real_part; 1
aerosol_refractive_index_real_part_of_atmosphere_layer; 1

Jonathan, on 18 November 2008, wrote:
> Could we say imaginary_part_of_atmosphere_aerosol_refractive_index or
atmosphere_aerosol_imaginary_refractive_index?
> I think it would be better to have the "imaginary" before the
"refractive index" somehow. This is a bit like eastward and northward
components.
> (The same for the real part.)

I like the first of Jonathan's suggestions. I'm not keen on
'imaginary_refractive_index'.

Christiane has asked that all names specify dry or ambient aerosol. I
await clarification of this.

The need for the layer names awaits a decision on whether to deprecate
the use of atmosphere_layer in favour of 'atmosphere' plus a vertical
coordinate variable and bounds. I have commented separately on this in
the medium 'atmosphere' thread.

Aerosol single scattering albedo
********************************
atmosphere_aerosol_single_scattering_albedo; 1
aerosol_single_scattering_albedo_of_atmosphere_layer; 1

Christiane has asked that both names specify dry or ambient aerosol. I
await clarification of this.

The need for the layer name awaits a decision on whether to deprecate
the use of atmosphere_layer in favour of 'atmosphere' plus a vertical
coordinate variable and bounds. I have commented separately on this in
the medium 'atmosphere' thread.

Aerosol extinction cross-section
********************************
atmosphere_aerosol_extinction_cross_section_per_particle; m2
atmosphere_aerosol_extinction_cross_section_per_particle_of_atmosphere_l
ayer; m2

Please note the SI units of m2!

Christiane (23 November 2008) wrote:

> Why per particle? I guess in a model you would have this quantity for
the average of particles in a grid box. If it refers to a single
particle or
> to the whole population cannot be part of the standard_name but must
be defined as a cell measure.

I don't think this point has been answered yet.

Christiane has asked that both names specify dry or ambient aerosol. I
await clarification of this.

The need for the layer name awaits a decision on whether to deprecate
the use of atmosphere_layer in favour of 'atmosphere' plus a vertical
coordinate variable and bounds. I have commented separately on this in
the medium 'atmosphere' thread.

Best wishes,
Alison

------
Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065
NCAS/British Atmospheric Data Centre Fax: +44 1235 446314
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory Email: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk
Chilton, Didcot, OX11 0QX, U.K.
--
Scanned by iCritical.