⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Proposal of standard names for cloud/precip?properties

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 17:18:36 +0000

Dear Alejandro

> Well, I was trying to make things easier for modelling groups.
Yes, I understand. Nonetheless it would be more consistent with most quantities
to give them separate names.

> - effective_radius_of_stratiform_cloud_liquid_water
> - effective_radius_of_stratiform_cloud_ice
> - effective_radius_of_convective_cloud_liquid_water
> - effective_radius_of_convective_cloud_ice
> - effective_radius_of_stratiform_cloud_graupel
> - effective_radius_of_stratiform_cloud_rainfall
> - effective_radius_of_stratiform_cloud_snowfall
> - effective_radius_of_convective_cloud_rainfall
> - effective_radius_of_convective_cloud_snowfall

I think _particle is needed. For liquid "droplet" would be usual, but
"particle" is not impossible! Also, probably _fall can be omitted.

> "molecular" means considering a molecular atmosphere (no clouds, no
> aerosols). I'm not sure how to code this in the name, as
> "assuming_clear_sky" is not appropriate.

Ah, I see. Well, I'd suggesting being explicit: assuming_no_aerosol_or_cloud.

Cheers

Jonathan