⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Proposal of standard names for cloud/precip properties

From: Alejandro Bodas-Salcedo <alejandro.bodas>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 11:39:30 +0000

Dear All,

I would like to retake the thread that I initiated a few weeks ago about
cloud properties from instrument simulators. Following suggestions by
Jonathan and others, I've reduced my original list to the one below,
where I've taken out all the references to instruments like
isccp,calipso, etc.

- cloud_albedo [1]
- atmosphere_optical_thickness_due_to_cloud [1]
- atmosphere_optical_thickness_due_to_stratiform_cloud [1]
- atmosphere_optical_thickness_due_to_convective_cloud [1]
- stratiform_cloud_longwave_emissivity [1]
- convective_cloud_longwave_emissivity [1]
- surface_longwave_emissivity [1]
- toa_brightness_temperature_assuming_clear_sky [K]
- toa_brightness_temperature [K]
- toa_reflectance [1]
- large_scale_graupel_flux [kg m-2 s-1]
- sunlit_binary_mask [1] (1=day,0=night)
- attenuated_molecular_backscatter [m-1 sr-1]
- attenuated_backscatter [m-1 sr-1]
- equivalent_reflectivity_factor [dBZ]
- radiation_frequency [s-1]

- hydrometeor_effective_radius [m]
Hydrometeor is any kind of condensate (liquid water, graupel, ice, rain,
etc). This will need a coordinate hydrometeor_type that stores the names
of the hydrometeors.

The following three are derived from some of the above. If I follow
strictly the CF guidelines, what it is usually called scattering ratio
becomes

ratio_of_attenuated_backscatter_to_attenuated_molecular_backscatter [1]

And what are usually called CFADs (Contoured frequency with altitude
diagrams) of X become

histogram_of_equivalent_reflectivity_factor_over_height_above_reference_ellipsoid [1]

and

histogram_of_ratio_of_attenuated_backscatter_to_attenuated_molecular_backscatter_over_height_above_reference_ellipsoid [1]

I don't think this is practical, so I would propose to use
backscatter_scattering_ratio instead of
ratio_of_attenuated_backscatter_to_attenuated_molecular_backscatter.

Regards,

Alejandro

Dr Alejandro Bodas-Salcedo     Earth Observation Research Scientist
Met Office Hadley Centre
FitzRoy Rd   Exeter  EX1 3PB   United Kingdom
Tel:  +44 (0)1392 886113   Fax:  +44 (0)1392 885681
E-mail: alejandro.bodas at metoffice.gov.uk   http://www.metoffice.gov.uk
See our guide to climate change at
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climatechange/guide/