⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF standard names for echam5-hammoz (content, mass fraction)

From: Christiane Textor <christiane.textor>
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2009 23:44:11 +0100

Dear Heinke,

I am now - finally, sorry - responding to this email.

Heinke had sent a list of names, which are now awaiting final agreement.

So far, we had the following names for chemical content, mass fraction,
concentration, etc. in CF:

mass_fraction_of_<A_dry_aerosol>_in_air
mass_fraction_of_<A_aerosol>_in_air
mass_concentration_of_<A_?dry?aerosol>_in_air
mole_concentration_of_<X>_in_sea_water
mole_fraction_of_<G>_in_air
moles_of_<G>_in_atmosphere

Heinke is proposing new groups:
atmosphere_number_content_of_X
atmosphere_mass_content_of_X

This brings us back to the use of the 'media' atmosphere and/or in_air
and there position, there is an open thread 'medium atmosphere'on this.
I think, we first have to close this thread before we can agree on the
names proposed by Heinke.

I have some addtional comments on the Heinke's names, see below.

> atmosphere_number_content_of_X (new physical parameter)
> ******************************
> atmosphere_number_content_of_cloud_droplets
> atmosphere_number_content_of_ice_crystals
> atmosphere_number_content_of_aerosol_particles

OK, apart from the medium issue

> atmosphere_mass_content_of
> ***************************
> atmosphere_mass_content_of_black_carbon_dry_aerosol
> atmosphere_mass_content_of_dust_dry_aerosol
> atmosphere_mass_content_of_particulate_organic_matter_dry_aerosol
> atmosphere_mass_content_of_seasalt_dry_aerosol
> atmosphere_mass_content_of_water_in_ambient_aerosol
> atmosphere_mass_content_of_sulfate_expressed_as_sulfur_dry_aerosol

OK, apart from the medium issue

> _in_air
> *******
> mass_fraction_of_formaldehyde_in_air
> mass_fraction_of_methyl_hydroperoxide_in_air
> mass_fraction_of_carbon_monoxide_in_air
> mass_fraction_of_hydrogen_peroxide_in_air
> mass_fraction_of_sulfuric_acid_in_air
> mass_fraction_of_nitric_acid_in_air
> mass_fraction_of_hydroperoxyl_in_air
> mass_fraction_of_dinitrogen_pentoxide_in_air
> mass_fraction_of_nitrogen_monoxide_in_air
> mass_fraction_of_nitrogen_dioxide_in_air
> mass_fraction_of_hydroxide_in_air

OK, can be accpeted now I would say.

> mass_concentration_ _in_air
from the old mass_concentration_of_X_in_air_of_atmosphere_layer)
_of_atmosphere_layer deleted and dry_aerosol added.
This means, that the for the atmosphere_layer you will use the cell method?

> mass_concentration_of_pm2p5_dry_aerosol_in_air
is pm2p5 allowed as a species?

> mass_concentration_of_pm1_dry_aerosol_in_air
> mass_concentration_of_sulfate_dry_aerosol_in_air
> mass_concentration_of_dust_dry_aerosol_in_air
> mass_concentration_of_seasalt_dry_aerosol_in_air
> mass_concentration_of_black_carbon_dry_aerosol_in_air
> mass_concentration_of_particulate_organic_matter_dry_aerosol_in_air

OK, can be accpeted now I would say.

Units
******
Heinke wrote in her email:
> I like to say that ug is the typical and kg could be the canonical unit.
> And my question is: Does udunit support ug?

I think it does, but I do not find it a good idea to have ug for some of
the species and kg for others. The same is true for centimeters or
meters. Maybe some old habits should be abolished: Why not just use the
SI units, this is clear and easy will avoid mistakes when using the files.

Best regards,
Christiane