⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Proposed CF standard names for the NEMO ocean model

From: Pamment, JA <alison.pamment>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 13:18:20 -0000

Second attempt to send this as the first one bounced...

Dear Ian,

These names do not seem to have received any comments since they were
proposed at the end of November.

> I'd like to propose three more standard names, appropriate for ocean
> models:
>
> 1) sea_surface_density kg m-3
> --------------------------
> The density of sea water near the surface (including the part under
> sea-
> ice, if any). (Cf existing CF standard_names sea_surface_temperature
> and
> sea_surface_salinity.)

I think the name and your suggested definition are fine.

> 2)

ratio_of_x_derivative_of_ocean_rigid_lid_pressure_to_sea_surface_densit
> N kg-1

> ---------
> NB: x_derivative_of_ocean_rigid_lid_pressure is already a
> standard_name,
> and I'm proposing sea_surface_density in (1).

The relationship between this name and existing and proposed names is
clear. The term ratio is certainly used in standard names. Therefore I
think this name sounds reasonable (but please see the following
comments).

Looking at the standard name table entries for ocean_rigid_lid_pressure
and x|y_derivative_of_ocean_rigid_lid_pressure which we introduced for
the NEMO model in version 10 of the table, I see that we gave them
canonical_units of N m-2 and N m-3 respectively. The usual practice in
standard names is to write N m-2 as Pa which would make the second unit
Pa m-1 and I think we should change the units of all three names in the
table. Please note that this does not in any way prevent you from
writing the quantities in a file using physically equivalent units. For
the current proposal, I think we should write the canonical units as m
s-2 which is exactly equivalent to N kg-1. M s-2 is the unit of
acceleration and I am wondering what is the physical interpretation of
the quantity you propose - does it express an acceleration in your
model?

> 3)

ratio_of_y_derivative_of_ocean_rigid_lid_pressure_to_sea_surface_density
N kg-1

> NB: y_derivative_of_ocean_rigid_lid_pressure is already a
> standard_name,
> and I'm proposing sea_surface_density in (1).

Please see my comments on proposal (2) above.

Best wishes,
Alison

> --
> Ian Culverwell B-2-81 Ocean and Sea Ice Modelling
> Met Office FitzRoy Road Exeter Devon EX1 3PB United Kingdom
> Tel: +44 (0)1392 884017 Fax: +44 (0)1392 885861
> E-mail: ian.culverwell at metoffice.gov.uk http://www.metoffice.gov.uk
>
> Met Office climate change predictions can now be viewed on Google
Earth
> http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/hadleycentre/google/

------
Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065
NCAS/British Atmospheric Data Centre Fax: +44 1235 446314
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory Email: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk
Chilton, Didcot, OX11 0QX, U.K.
--
Scanned by iCritical.