⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] time dimension and calendar for an ice-sheet model output

From: Constantine Khroulev <c.khroulev>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 10:53:49 -0900

Hello,

I am updating PISM to CF-1.4, and I have a question about the
reference date and calendar.
In our context
1) time in the output file denotes "seconds (or years) relative to
present", i.e. it for paleoclimate runs it is negative (and is used to
extract appropriate temperature and sea-level offsets from ice-core
data, for example) and for runs "into the future" it is positive.
2) a year is always 3.15569e+07 seconds.

I might be wrong, but it seems that 1) suggests that any particular
"real" reference date will be... well... unfitting, and 2) suggests
that standard calendars are not applicable here either.

It is appropriate to use the units string of "years since 1-1-1 0:0:0"
or similar, following Example 4.6?

Should I use calendar="none", or should I define a custom calendar?

What would you recommend?

Thank you!

--
Constantine Khroulev