⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Some new standard names for cloud feedback study

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 08:11:16 +0000

Dear Tomoo

> I see. Actually my idea is that X is the mass of cloud liquid water
> per unit mass of air with the units of kg/kg - I hope this is all right.
> In this case I assume that tendency_of_X has units of kg/kg/s or 1/s.

Yes, it would be OK to have such quantities. However, existing CF names of
cloud_liquid|condensed_water_content are in kg m-2; we use "content" to mean
something per m2. If you want kg kg-1, then the phrase to use is
mass_fraction_of_cloud_liquid|condensed_water_in_air
mass_fraction_of_cloud_ice_water_in_air
There are some tendency names for these quantities already as well in
the standard name table.

If that's what CFMIP would prefer, you could change your proposal to use these
phrases instead.