⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Standardized region names

From: Roy Lowry <rkl>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 14:51:09 +0000

Dear All,

FYI there are a couple of activities in this area.

SeaVoX has a draft ontology (see attached PDF) of water body names based largely (but NOT exclusively) on terms agreed by the IHO that will be supported by WFS-served coverage polygons. It is planned to use nodes in this ontology as hooks for local extensions. Some work has been proposed in the UK to develop extensions for the North Sea, Irish Sea, English Channel, Bristol Channel and "Inner Seas off the west coast of Scotland".

Work is underway at NGDC in Boulder to ehnhance the geometries and maintenance infrastructure of the IHB Undersea Feature Names with a view to their publication through WFS.

These may we worthy of consultation in any revision of the names for use in CF.

Cheers, Roy.

>>> Nan Galbraith <ngalbraith at whoi.edu> 1/9/2009 6:08 pm >>>
Reviving an old topic, the CF region names list is now out of date;
there are 7 or 8 names on the GCMD list that have not been added
to the CF document. They are:
Bay Of Bengal
Bay Of Fundy
Davis Straight
Georges Bank
Grand Banks
Gulf Of Maine
Gulf Of St Lawrence
And I'm not sure if you'd want to include it, but they list "South
China And Eastern Archipelagic Seas" too.

Should the CF list be updated in the next rev? I think GCMD is
planning to come out with an update (any day now) anyway, but
thought I'd mention this while I happen to be looking at it.
> The list of regions can be found here:
> http://cf-pcmdi.llnl.gov/documents/cf-standard-names/standardized-region-names

Thanks -Nan