⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new named fields for ocean

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 13:49:13 +0000

Dear all

I agree with others that the equation of state and freezing temperature can
be left for the moment, until it is decided *how* this information will be
collected for CMIP5. It would be a departure to give such things standard
names, but it could be considered.

I agree also that we need ways to describe more grid-information for CMIP5 (I
assume this will come in Balaji's proposal). But even without adding it to
cell_measures, we could introduce the standard_name of cell_thickness. An
analysis program could find the variable by using the standard name and the
grid information. The cell_measures is a pointer which would make it easier to
find.

Given Karl's remark "when sea ice is present we want the pressure at the
interface between sea ice and the ocean, not the atmosphere and ocean" perhaps
we should stick with sea_water_pressure_at_sea_water_surface as originally
proposed. I think that may be why we chose it i.e. it is not surface pressure.

I think year is acceptable, if inaccurate, for the age of sea water. It
depends on analysis programs treating it properly. Perhaps the CMIP5 doc can
say exactly how this quantity is to be evaluated and interpreted in years.

The document intends to use the existing name of region, but some of the
possible values for a region variable are proposals for addition to the list
of standard region names.

Cheers

Jonathan