⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Storing multiple NWP model runs in a NetCDF - CF file [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 08:50:50 +0000

Dear all

I think we excluded the axis attribute from auxiliary coords because it is
intended for the 1D coord variables. However we didn't allow for the special
case of a scalar coord variable, which is really equivalent to a size-1 1D
coord variable. I agree with Karl that scalar coord variables should be allowed
to have the axis attribute.

There is a summary of previous discussions of 2D time coordinates at
http://mailman.cgd.ucar.edu/pipermail/cf-metadata/2006/001008.html
- itself now 2.5 years ago! It would be good to state some more explicit
recommendations in the standard. How does that summary compare with what John
and Tim have in mind now?