⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new names for AeroCom

From: Heinke Hoeck <heinke.hoeck>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 13:35:21 +0100

Dear Christiane,

I have few comments.
> tendencies for noy nitrogen oxides:
> tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_noy_due_to_wet_deposition
> tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_noy_due_to_dry_deposition
> tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_noy_due_to_emission
>
> NOy is the sum of all simulated oxidized nitrogen species, out of NO,
> NO2, HNO3, HNO4, NO3aerosol, NO3(radical), N2O5, PAN, other organic
> nitrates.

I have a problem with 'all simulated' and 'other organic nitrates'. Are
we able to compare the
data with these standard names.
I think this is the sulfur problem:
In our case sulfur is: SO2(gas),H2SO4(gas),SO4(aerosol),DMS(gas).
I would like to discuss this.

You proposed some standard names like
atmosphere_*_in_air
I must say it is not totally clear for me what processes should be
described with
atmosphere or in_air. I know Jonathan tried to answer this.
>The Guidelines for Construction of CF Standard Names
>http://cf-pcmdi.llnl.gov/documents/cf-standard-names/guidelines
>state for 'atmosphere' under 'Special Phrases':
>'atmosphere:
>used instead of in_air for quantities which are large-scale rather than
local '
7.11.08 Jonathan's email

But I think we can't use both in one standard name. Is that right?
If yes, this could be a building rule.

atmosphere_optical_thickness_due_to_sulfate_ambient_aerosol
atmosphere_optical_thickness_due_to_ambient_aerosol
atmosphere_absorption_optical_thickness_due_to_ambient_aerosol

I proposed these three names before. I know the lists are very long.

Best wishes
Heinke

Best wishes
Heinke