⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] New area_type table and new links from standard name table

From: John Graybeal <graybeal>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 08:27:52 -0800

Alison,

All these changes sound excellent.

I have a few suggestions for the area_type info. Well, more like
questions.

An area_type that I imagine being useful within a year or two, if not
within months, is the benthic floor (i.e., land under the sea). And
by analog: land under a lake, or the more general
water_covered_ground. I'm not recommending those changes now, but they
raise the following question: Is 'land' is intended to be all-
encompassing in this regard? Definitions would help make this clear.
As a general observation, discussing terms without associated
definitions can lead to confusion on all parts.

I don't see how all_standard_names makes sense as an area_type.

If lake_ice_or_sea_ice excludes icebergs, does sea_ice? This is
counterintuitive to a lay person, admittedly not the target audience.
(Also note, this is where the relation between terms is useful
information to have -- somewhere in my assumed hierarchy
   floating_ice
     lake_ice_or_sea_ice
       sea_ice
there is a discrepancy, perhaps intentional. Suggest the discontinuity
be made explicit in the definition (i..e, explain why
lake_ice_or_sea_ice excludes icebergs, while floating_ice does not;
and address whether sea_ice includes icebergs. The definition is
where people will look to understand the relationships.

I assume the absence of lake_ice is deliberate. (Just a thought:
Sometimes completeness is helpful for clarity, especially when there
are no definitions, even though there may not be any immediate use for
the term. Otherwise it makes some of us wonder why something *wasn't*
included.)

John