⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Flag Variables

From: Rosalyn Hatcher <r.s.hatcher>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 09:44:35 +0000

Dear All,

As a result of updating the CF checker for CF 1.3, I have a couple of
comments/proposals about flag variables......

1. One of the requirements for a CF compliant file states (Section 3.5)

"Variables with a flag_masks attribute must have a type that is
compatible with bit field expression (char, byte, short and int), not
floating-point (float, real, double), and the flag_masks attribute must
have the same type."

Taking into account the additional recommendation that

"When flag_masks and flag_values are both defined, the Boolean AND of
each entry in flag_values with its corresponding entry in flag_masks
should equal the flag_values entry, ie, the mask selects all the bits
required to express the value."

If, for example, flag_values = "A B C D" I don't think it makes much
sense to have a flag_masks attribute.

I wonder if the convention should explicitly state that "if a flag
variable is of type char then it should not have a flag_masks attribute." ?

2. I'd also like to propose the additional 2 requirements

** "If the flag_values attribute is present then the flag_meanings
attribute must be specified"

Having flag_values specified and attaching no meanings to them doesn't
really make much sense.

** "The type of the flag_meanings attribute is a string whose value is a
blank separated list of words or phrases (words connected by underscores)"

This is implied in the convention but is not explicitly stated in the
conformance document.

Regards,
Ros.

Rosalyn Hatcher
NCAS Computational Modelling Services
Dept. of Meteorology, University of Reading,
Earley Gate, Reading. RG6 6BB
Email: r.s.hatcher at reading.ac.uk     Tel: +44 (0) 118 378 6016