⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF standard names for echam5-hammoz?model?(aerosol-chemistry-climate)

From: Philip Bentley <philip.bentley>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 16:12:35 +0000

Hi Jonathan et al,

This has reminded me of a CF units question that I was cogitating over a
few weeks back.

In Section 3.3 of the CF conventions it states that: "Unless it is
dimensionless, a variable with a standard_name attribute must have units
which are physically equivalent (not necessarily identical) to the
canonical units..."

As a non-physicist, would someone care to explain what determines when a
given pair of units are "physically equivalent", and when not. Some
examples would be great!

I can surmise that degrees K and degrees C are physically equivalent
(simple offset). But what about K and degrees Fahrenheit? If these, say,
are not physically equivalent then presumably you could not use the
latter as the units for "air_temperature". Right?

Regards,
Phil