⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] mixing ratio

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 15:31:02 +0000

Dear Christiane

> We do not use CF at the moment in the plume model, so for my specific
> problem our discussion is not relevant. I was just thinking that a vague
> name could lead to problems later, if the variable is used by different
> people in different ways.

Yes, I agree, it could, although we could try to explain in the definition.
I think that either we use
  mass_fraction_of_X_in_air
for all X and say that we are deliberately vague about whether air is ambient
or dry - I think Martin favours this - or we use
  mass_fraction_of_X_in_ambient_air
  mass_fraction_of_X_in_dry_air
which I think you favour. That involves aliasing quite a lot of existing
names. I would be happy with either, except that I would say that the latter
option is unsatisfactory for the particular case of
  mass_fraction_of_water_vapor_in_dry_air
which appears not to make sense. That problem can be avoided by sticking
with the existing humidity_mixing_ratio, which is a term in general use, for
that one case, even though it would be unsystematic.

I hope that's a correct summary.