⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] medium 'atmosphere'

From: Christiane Textor <christiane.textor>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 00:18:32 +0100

Dear Jonathan,

-> 'atmosphere' synonymous to _in_air ?
The Guidelines for Construction of CF Standard Names
http://cf-pcmdi.llnl.gov/documents/cf-standard-names/guidelines
state for 'atmosphere' under 'Special Phrases':
'atmosphere: used instead of in_air for quantities which are large-scale
rather than local '
I agree with what you say, that 'atmosphere' is not synonymous to
_in_air, but not only concerning the spatial scales. For chemical names
there is another difference, and I was referring to this: atmosphere
means not-ocean, not-land, not-vergation, etc., in the Earth system, but
in the atmosphere. This includes in_air, in_clouds, in_precipitation,
etc. Hence, in_air is a sub-element of (_in)_atmosphere, at least this
is what I thought we had defined. Maybe I am wrong?

-> _atmosphere or _in_atmosphere?
I am sorry that I have not raised this issue earlier. Why are
moles_of_G treated differently? The main distinction between gases and
aerosols is that gases have a defined molar mass, whereas most aerosols
do not have.

Best regards,
Christiane

Jonathan Gregory schrieb:

> Dear Christiane
>
>> Why do you not think that there is a problem if 'atmosphere' is stated to
>> be synonymous to _in_air, if this is simply wrong?
>
> I don't think they are synonymous.
>
>> And the position of _atmosphere or _in_atmopshere should be consistent to
>> allow for automatic generation of standard names as discussed for
>> aerosols and chemistry, and to avoid the each time the discussion starts
>> again.
>
> It is a systematic distinction, so it could be made automatically. It is
> in_atmosphere for moles_of_G, and atmosphere_ for everything else. The only
> reason is that atmosphere_number_of_moles was not suggested, or did not sound
> right (I can't remember), during that discussion. You may remember that was
> the discussion about "burden", when we decided to say "number of moles" to
> be explicit about what it meant. We could change to atmosphere_number_of_moles
> for consistency (that would affect about 35 names).
>
> Best wishes

Christiane Textor
Unite Mixte de Recherche CEA-CNRS-UVSQ
LSCE/IPSL, CEA Saclay, Orme des Merisiers,
Bat. 701, Piece 3b, Point Courrier 129
F-91191 Gif-sur-Yvette Cedex
FRANCE
mailto: christiane.textor at lsce.ipsl.fr
Tel ++33 1 69 08 34 07 Fax ++33 1 69 08 77 16
GEOmon scientific coordinator http://www.geomon.eu