⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Update to standard name table 11 November 2008

From: Pamment, JA <alison.pamment>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 10:00:19 -0000

Dear All,

I am planning to update the standard name table on Tuesday 11th November
to add a number of names that have been agreed in recent weeks. Please
see below for the list of planned changes. If anyone spots any errors
in the list, please contact me as soon as possible.

On this occasion there are a number of changes to the standard name
table arising from the discussion under trac ticket #17. Related to
this, please see below for information regarding the introduction of a
table of standardized string values for variables with the new
'area_type' standard name. Additionally, all references to the
'where_type' phrase will be deleted from the 'Guidelines for
Construction of CF Standard Names' document
(http://cf-pcmdi.llnl.gov/documents/cf-standard-names/guidelines).

Another update of the standard name table is scheduled for Tuesday 13th
January 2009.

1. Aliases to be introduced for existing standard names.

a. Aliases arising from the acceptance of the CF conventions proposal
discussed under trac ticket #17
(http://cf-pcmdi.llnl.gov/trac/ticket/17).

All 9 standard names containing the term 'where' will be deprecated.
They will become aliases of corresponding names without 'where'.
Area_type information will in future be recorded in the cell_methods
attribute using a special syntax created for that purpose.

precipitation_flux_onto_canopy_where_land will become
precipitation_flux_onto_canopy; kg m-2 s-1

surface_net_downward_radiative_flux_where_land will become an alias of
the existing standard name surface_net_downward_radiative_flux; W m-2
surface_snow_thickness_where_sea_ice will become an alias of the
existing standard name surface_snow_thickness; m
surface_temperature_where_land, surface_temperature_where_open_sea and
surface_temperature_where_snow will all become aliases of the existing
standard name surface_temperature; K
surface_upward_sensible_heat_flux_where_sea will become an alias of the
existing standard name surface_upward_sensible_heat_flux; W m-2
water_evaporation_flux_from_canopy_where_land will become an alias of
the existing standard name water_evaporation_flux_from_canopy; kg m-2
s-1
water_evaporation_flux_where_sea_ice will become an alias for the
existing standard name water_evaporation_flux; kg m-2 s-1

The descriptions of the names without 'where' will be extended to cover
the meaning of the aliases containing 'where'. This will avoid losing
the meaning of any existing data that have been written using the
'where' names.

land_cover and surface_type will both become aliases of the new name
area_type.

Additional information regarding area_type quoted directly from the
moderator's conclusion of ticket #17: "Variables with standard_name of
area_type must have one of the values listed in a special table. The
initial list of values in that table is: land, sea, sea_ice,
ice_free_sea, land_ice, snow, cloud, clear_sky, vegetation, bare_ground,
all_area_types. Additions to this table will be requested on the CF
email list." N.B. Please see item 3 of this email for two new area types
that have already been agreed.

b. Correction to a number of recently added standard names where space
characters have inadvertently been included. Many thanks to Robert
Muetzelfeldt for alerting me to the errors. The spaces will be removed
and the existing names will be turned into aliases in case any data have
already been written with the incorrect version of the names.

> The standard names concerned are:
> mole_fraction_of_chlorine[SPACE]dioxide_in_air
> mole_fraction_of_chlorine[SPACE]monoxide_in_air
> mole_fraction_of_dichlorine[SPACE]peroxide_in_air
> mole_fraction_of_hypochlorous[SPACE]acid_in_air

tendency_of_potential_energy_content_of_ocean_layer_due_to_diffusion[SPA
CE]

2. New names to be included in the standard name table.

a) Names proposed by Heinke Hoeck for the ECHAM5/CLM/ERA models.

cloud_liquid_water_mixing_ratio; 1
cloud_ice_mixing_ratio; 1
convective_precipitation_rate; m s-1
toa_net_downward_longwave_flux_assuming_clear_sky; W m-2
integral_of_surface_downwelling_longwave_flux_in_air_wrt_time; W s m-2
integral_of_surface_downwelling_shortwave_flux_in_air_wrt_time; W s m-2
integral_of_surface_downward_eastward_stress_wrt_time; Pa s
integral_of_surface_downward_northward_stress_wrt_time; Pa s
surface_albedo_assuming_no_snow; 1
minus_one_times_toa_outgoing_shortwave_flux; W m-2
minus_one_times_surface_upwelling_shortwave_flux_in_air; W m-2
minus_one_times_surface_upwelling_longwave_flux_in_air; W m-2
downward_heat_flux_in_floating_ice; W m-2
floating_ice_thickness; m

3. New area_type standardized strings agreed during the discussion of
Heinke's proposals. Please see item (1) and trac ticket #17 for further
information on this.

lake_ice_or_sea_ice (this means floating ice excluding ice-shelves and
icebergs).
floating_ice (this includes lake-ice, sea-ice, ice-shelves and
icebergs).

Best wishes,
Alison

==> Please note new email address: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk <==

------
J Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065
NCAS/British Atmospheric Data Centre Fax: +44 1235 446314
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory Email: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk
Chilton, Didcot, OX11 0QX, U.K.

--
Scanned by iCritical.