⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] date and time

From: Steve Hankin <Steven.C.Hankin>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 10:00:41 -0700

John Graybeal wrote:
> All Steve's questions seem good to me. The last paragraph, about just
> being a "basis for their community standard", raises another: Is that
> the model CF intends to follow?
>
> My assumption, having understood that CF wants to be capable of
> representing observational data, was that CF would want to go 'all the
> way', and be capable of representing any of the observational data
> that the community collects and exchanges for oceanographic science
> reasons. This can include strange new concepts, many raw (not yet in
> science units, or not yet calibrated) data items, and diagnostic and
> engineering data.
Hi John,

Good question to raise. And points out that we need to pin down what we
mean by "capable of representing"? I'd argue that the successes (lets
presume) of OceanSites, Argo and GOSUD at using CF with extensions
demonstrates that CF is _capable of representing_ specialized time
series, profiles and trajectories, respectively. It does not seem like
an achievable goal to suggest that the text of the CF standards document
(or even the standard_names list) can 'go all the way' in explicitly
spelling out all the needs of all possible oceanographic measurement
types. That does not seem like a scalable approach to the problem.
> Steve's cited examples perhaps reflect the distance that has to be
> covered. In our research environment, CF standard_names are only
> occasionally applicable to the collected raw data.
>
> So *I'm hoping the question of intended CF scope is answered*, or at
> least addressed, in the course of resolving this specific instance.
Thanks. We're both expressing the same basic concern. Standard_name
discussions should be built on a shared (and written) understanding of
the desired scope of the CF semantics. Admittedly a hard thing to
express .... (Do we already this, Jon? It seems a different aspect of
the question than we see discussed in the guidelines:
http://cf-pcmdi.llnl.gov/documents/cf-standard-names/guidelines)

    - Steve

Philosophical PS: <onMySoapBox> The above question goes to the heart of
the philosophical difference between CF and OGC/SOS (or WFS) -- at least
as I see it playing out recently. The marine community is hoping to use
the OGC standards process to develop XML schemas that capture the full
semantic richness of all measurements that the community may want to
interchange. A laudable goal. And I hope we'll achieve it ... no later
than 20 years from now =-O . The flaw that I see this approach is that
it seems to ignore the nature of the word "standard". You can only
standardize the things that you understand thoroughly. Through the OGC
process the marine community is trying to model very complex semantics
for the first time ever and hope (by some miracle) that the first-ever
efforts will be good enough to standardize. Good luck. I'd lobby that
we all crack open our history books and study which approaches have
worked and which have not when creating standards. The OGC process is
potentially a powerful glue for the community ... but only if it is
approached with appropriately modest expectations. <\onMySoapBox>