⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] date and time

From: John Graybeal <graybeal>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 16:07:17 -0700

Uh, to an observing systems/cyberinfrastructure person, ALL time
values have errors, _especially_ those from devices. (As if the system
time isn't originally from a device, for that matter. But I
digress.) So actually, I find reported_time to be more suggestive of
absolute real-world time than device_time. Indicated_time is better,
but also less specific/to the point -- really doesn't say anything
more than 'time'.

Is a sampler a sensor? If so then I don't have any problem with
sensor_time. If not then I suggest device_time or time_from_device.
If you really prefer indicated_time, I can go with it.

mission_elapsed_time is fine.

Regarding redundancy, I want to go back to the original stated goal:
to be able to record and document the observed data from sensors. To
do this with maximum fidelity and confidence, I'd rather not be
putting computations all over the place to eliminate or recast the
redundancies that the manufacturer of the systems have carefully (or
not) installed. Yes it means possible inconsistency, but it is the
possible inconsistency that the device/system manufacturer left in
their system, for whatever reason. On what basis shall we decide which
way the inconsistency should be resolved? Given a 50/50 chance, I'd
rather leave the inconsistency in and just report what the instrument
reported.

I realize this operational measurements view may represent a phase
change (right phrase?) for CF, which maybe deals more with values that
were created 'with clear intent'. And maybe what I'm suggesting just
isn't a desirable philosophy for that reason. But in terms of
accurately capturing what sensors in a system are reporting, I think
we should expect lots of small "that doesn't make sense" moments in
coming up with effective standard names.

John