⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] date and time

From: John Graybeal <graybeal>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 21:04:24 -0700

Yes, I read the conventions section 4.4, including a few times while
preparing the question. Not too complicated, and helpful; it just
didn't address my problem, that I could see.

A point I found useful to consider is the idea that these are
secondary time parameters. When the netCDF file gets created, I
appreciate that it has a coordinate called time, which is presumably
the primary parameter. But in the original data (from which the netCDF
file is generated), it may or may not be the case that the 'primary
time' exists. (Maybe the system time becomes the primary time; maybe
some GPS sensor produces a timestamp that becomes primary time; maybe
something else will provide the key information from which time can be
established.) So is it the case that the Standard Name 'time' is
always assigned to the primary time? Or can 'time' be assigned to any
and all time parameters?

The two cases you outline seem pretty similar to me, but maybe I'm
missing something. As a general observation, the question 'how are you
going to use this' reflects an assumption that the only (or primary)
use of the netCDF files and the standard names is purposeful and
anticipatory. In fact, especially if you are dealing with observation
data, both can be strictly documentary; and of course the data can be
used in unintended ways. So it shouldn't matter how the data will be
used; I just want to know how to document what I have. (There are
reasons the different time parameters are not duplicates, which I
won't go into here; I just wanted to know how to label them, such that
generating a netCDF COARDS/CF file using those names won't bring the
wrath of CF down upon me.)

John