⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF standard names for chemical constituents and aerosols (resulting from a GRIB2 p

From: John Graybeal <graybeal>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 12:22:06 -0700

Seth,

That's an entertainingly close description of the semantic
interoperability framework [1] and workshop [2] that MMI is proposing
and offering for marine and related environmental sciences.
(apologies for the plug, but it sure seemed relevant) So you'll have
my full support for that concept.

The interesting and subtle distinction between MMI's approach, and
what I think you're implying is that there would be a single authority
(CF) tying together all those names (e.g., using the CF aliases to
bring the names from different namespaces together). There are two
ways to do that, but I don't think aliases or a 'single authority' (in
the way you imply it) is the right model.

I think a better model is to consider the CF standard names one of the
major namespaces, to which many other vocabularies can be mapped.
Then, modify the CF standard to allow the specification of a term from
any namespace (since many terms may not be appropriate to the CF
vocabulary; see my comment on CF scope in the last post); this is a
proposal I've been back-burnering for about 9 months now. Finally, CF
can accept any or all well-framed names that are in any of these
namespaces, or can even alias to them, through manual or semi-
automated processes.

Under this model, CF has a mind share on solving this problem with a
particular approach, but CF users can take advantage of other
approaches. CF doesn't have to take on the 'vocabulary publication and
mediation' task for the entire community, but can pick and choose its
own targets for inclusion in the CF vocabulary (and the targets will
be much more conspicuous and contextually defined).

There are multiple complexities that arise as you start trying to make
this concept (mine, yours, or CF's) work -- I like to think our MMI
plans know about 85% of the issues in a fully operational but basic
system -- and it isn't clear whether you'll want many organizations
serving the results, or relatively few. But the model can put a lot
more precise naming and mapping capability into action in a very short
period of time (we hope to go live in a matter of weeks), and should
make clear the difference in scope between what CF is currently
addressing, and what needs to be accommodated.

Having said all that, I would like CF's model of "meaningful,
coherent, well-structured names" to be a paradigm that is maintained.
If one group uses opaque codes, I would rather not see CF start
including those just because they are acceptable to some. One of CF's
big strengths is the "instant interoperability" you get from
recognizing and understanding the name.

John

[1] http://marinemetadata.org/semanticframeworkconcept (many of the
planned concepts are not fully documented yet)
[2] http://marinemetadata.org/events/oossi (sign up soon if you want
good hotel rates!)