⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF-metadata Digest, Vol 67, Issue 6

From: Schultz, Martin <m.schultz>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 17:44:37 +0200

Re: standard names for chemistry - MCM (Heinke Hoeck)

> Dear All,
>
> I don't agree with Martin and Philip.
> example:
> dimensions:
> lat=72;
> lon=124;
> maxlen=30;
> float quantity(lat,lon,height,time) ;
> quantity:standard_name = "mass_fraction_of_constituent_in_air" ;
quantity:units = "1" ;
> quantity:coordinates = "constituent" ; char constituent(maxlen);
constituent:standard_name='IUPAC_system';
> data:
> constituent='ozone';

Dear Heinke,

     if constituent='ozone' is in the data, then how do you deal with a
file that has several constituents in it? This is the norm rather than
the exception in chemistry modelling. If you suggest
     constitutent = '[ozone, NO2, CO, ...]'; (or something like this
in correct syntax)
then I believe it will be impractical to construct this constituent
vector. If at all, then I think the constituent name must come along
with the variable attributes.

Best regards,

Martin

Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH
52425 Juelich

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Juelich
Dr. Ulrich Krafft (stellv. Vorsitzender), Prof. Dr. Harald Bolt,
Dr. Sebastian M. Schmidt