⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF standard names for chemical constituents and aerosols (resulting from a GRIB2 p

From: John Graybeal <graybeal>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 08:33:56 -0700

I don't know if this is supportive or not, but the "sheer number of
groups bringing new requirements" is an issue that I don't think CF
has realistically addressed.

The existing philosophy, "we are getting by OK with our creaky system
so let's stick with it", ignores the fact that some people are not
participating in the system because it is perceived as insufficiently
responsive to their needs.

As a perhaps unrepresentative example, I have 3 different projects
that could bring anything from 10 to 100+ terms each. (And I'm not
talking about the two projects that could bring 1000+ terms.) In
some, the terms are "in use" via other vocabularies (so there is no
way to tell if every term from the other vocabulary is in use). So
rather than just dump a few hundred terms on the list, I've been
waiting for the opportunity to craft a carefully thought out analysis
of clearly useful terms that will only take a few months to work
through the community. The problem is, that time doesn't seem to
come, and meanwhile the mantra is reinforced that small requests are
OK, large ones are not.

I don't think we should have the expectation that CF can be a
completely representative community vocabulary for all data exchange
needs. But I'd like the organizing principals to be clearer so that
it doesn't grind to a stop before its time.

On the other hand, one of CF's strengths would seem to be its
'meaningful identifiers', so I'm not sure if I'd call that the baby or
the bath water, when we're trying to eliminate the unnecessary things.

john