⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF standard names for chemical constituents and aerosols (resulting from a GRIB2 proposal)

From: Heinke Hoeck <heinke.hoeck>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 09:02:45 +0200

Dear all,

Martina Stockhause wrote:

> I apologize for this long list. My idea to move the name of the chemical
> constituent or aerosol from the standard name into an attribute was dismissed
> by the scientists. The disadvantage of a CF standard name without the
> constituent was larger than the advantage of a smaller number of CF standard
> names to be proposed.

I think it was a good idea to move the constituent into an attribute. If
we allow the
combination of physical quantity with the chemical constituent or
aerosol to construct
the cf standard name we will generate a very long list of new
cf-standard names (thousents).

The splitting could be done like the area_fraction with a coordinate
variable or scalar coordinate variable.
The list of allowed chemical constituent or aerosol should be limited.

I like to give an example (I don't know the IUPAC list, if 'ozone' is
not right, please correct it):

dimensions:
  lat=72;
  lon=124;
  maxlen=30;
float quantity(lat,lon,height,time) ;
  quantity:standard_name = "mass_fraction_of_constituent_in_air" ;
  quantity:units = "1" ;
  quantity:coordinates = "constituent" ;
char constituent(maxlen);
  constituent:standard_name='IUPAC_system';
data:
  constituent='ozone';

The list of valid constituent or aerosol could be SMILES, IUPAC or CAS.
Or the CF community build up
such list.

This is the same system Martin Suttie uses with the two tables. One
table with the physical
quantity would be the CF standard name and the second table would be the
variable with the
chemical constituents and aerosols.

If the community need the combination of both in one name in the header
the common concept
could be the solution. See track #24. But this is in work.

For example:
x:common_concept_urn = "urn:cf-cc:grib123";
x:common_concept_local = "{grib2.wmo}mass_fraction_of_ozone_in_air";

As a source to construct chemical cf standard name and to build up a
list of chemical constituent or aerosol
I like to propose:
http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/CF_Standard_Names_-_Construction_of_Atmospheric_Chemistry_and_Aerosol_Terms
It need an update but the I like the structure.

Best regards
Heinke