⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] fixed sensors, depth, datum

From: John Graybeal <graybeal>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 10:53:04 -0700

I agree that CF has enough things on its plate, and adding the ability
to internally define vertical datum specifications should not be yet
another one.

And so it is important to provide the means to reference existing
vertical datums. I think a single height_above_vertical_datum as a
standard name is more coherent (cogent?) than creating multiple
'height_above_' parameters, whether they're referring to a vertical
datum type (geoid, ellipsoid) or instance (WGS_84).

The height_above_vertical_datum concept lends itself to two cases: (1)
A vertical datum for the entire file; (2) different vertical datums
for different variables. I suppose the case of a vertical datum for
each measurement is fairly degenerate...). Having both cases
supported by attributes would be idea, it seems to me.

The vertical datum reference could be specified in several forms: (a)
a single URI for the vertical datum (or coordinate system
incorporating a vertical datum), (b) organization name + vertical
datum name or ID (note standard vocabularies often aren't defined for
the organization name, so if you want computers to understand, these
two terms would both need controlled vocabularies or some other unique
referencing specification, like URIs or other unique IDs), (c) an
internal reference to a CF-specified datum in the file, as for example
the extended grid concept mentioned earlier. (The last is only needed
to support existing CF specifications that are relevant, if any;
otherwise no need to worry about it.)

I suspect (a), the best choice IMHO, will be implementable within a
year if not months, but maybe is not usable today. Conceivably
attributes for both (a) and (b) could be created, and the user selects
whichever is most appropriate.

John

On Sep 11, 2008, at 10:31 AM, Ethan Davis wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Jonathan Gregory wrote:
>> Dear Dale
>>
>> It seems none of us who has so far contributed claims to be an
>> expert. If any
>> experts are listening in, they are welcome to comment!
>>

> Yes, please.
>
>>> The recommendation is that I request a few new standard names.
>>> Standard names like height_above_geoid and
>>> height_above_reference_ellipsoid seem appropriate
>>>
>> Yes.
>>

> As I understand it, a vertical datum can be based on sea levels,
> ellipsoids, or gravitational models. I think it would be better to
> add height_above_vertical_datum rather than the two more specific
> terms above.
>
>>> Can one use in any variable an
>>> attribute normally found in the crs variable such as
>>> vertical_datum_name? For example
>>> float ht_wgs84
>>> ht_wgs84:long_name = "Height referenced to WGS84";
>>> ht_wgs84:standard_name = height_above_reference_ellipsoid