⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] fixed sensors, depth, datum

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 15:37:48 +0100

Dear Jon

As I've said, I'm pretty ignorant on this, but I had thought on reading e.g.
wikipedia that WGS84 must include a more detailed geoid as well as a reference
ellipsoid. Is it not the case these two can different by large amounts locally
owing to the bumps in the gravity field? If so, I would have thought that
measurements like these might relate to the geoid (which is much more like
sea level) than the ellipsoid. What have I misunderstood?