⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Same parameter, different meaning (pressure)

From: Steve Hankin <Steven.C.Hankin>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 17:50:02 -0700

Roy Lowry wrote:
> Hello Jonathan,
>
> My (and I'm pretty sure John's) concern is how do we stop someone after bathymetric depths taking a channel labelled 'sea_water_pressure_at_sea_floor' converting to depth and averaging to get a point bathymetric depth relative to mean sea level when the measuring instrument is 200m above the seabed thus giving them a value wrong by 200m?
>
> If you can give me a clear explanation of how 'sea_water_pressure_200m_above_the_seabed' may be unambiguously described in CF then I will cease to be concerned. However, we still haven't solved Nan's problem of differentiating between fixed and tethered sensors 200m above the seabed. This is important because the former is a reliable measure of sea level but the latter isn't.

It does seem like we have departed rather far from the original question
of differentiating between fixed and tethered sensors.

I think we are veering way too far towards embedding instrument metadata
(and even independent coordinate information) into the standard name.
If the quantity in question is sea water pressure then it should be
called "sea_water_pressure". If it is measured at 200m then it should
have a typical CF-encoded Z coordinate axis to indicate that it is at
200m depth. In fact wherever applicable the typical CF coordinate axes
should be used, so that the geopositioning is encoded in an
interoperable way. Embedding that semantics into the name is far less
desirable. If the instrument is on the sea floor, then the depth of the
sea floor should be used for its Z axis coordinate. How to encode the
additional bit of semantics to indicate that this depth is in fact the
sea floor is also important, but it should be raised as a separate
question. Knowing the position is on the sea floor is equally
applicable to pressures, temperatures, currents, etc. -- it shouldn't be
part of the standard name for a pressure in particular.

Regarding the question of tethered sensors, my initial reaction was that
this should not be encoded in the standard name. The physical quantity
is still simply sea water pressure. What is special about the
observation type is that the vertical coordinate is a function of time
-- a 1D trajectory if you will. (Actually the cable movement is a 3D
trajectory, but if the data provider wants to view this as a point in
X,Y who am I to quibble?) I was unclear, however, whether the data
providers would always have all of the information needed to encode the
vertical position as a function of time .... Lacking that information,
maybe a new standard name is unavoidable.

    - Steve