⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] vertical coordinates

From: Ethan Davis <edavis>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2008 14:24:40 -0600

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the link. Definitely clear as mud.

I'm still not seeing any text in ISO 19111 that spells out that you
can't combine a geographic CRS and an ellipsoid based vertical CRS. Just
that quote that ellipsoidal heights can't be captured in a vertical CRS
because vertical CRS are based on the direction of gravity and
ellipsoids are not. Which seems OK except when I see that some vertical
datums are based on ellipsoids. Don't those two things contradict each
other?

That you have to use a full 3D CRS when doing certain coordinate
transformations also makes sense to me. But isn't that the case for most
3D CRS since the vertical may not (is not in most cases) orthogonal to
the horizontal?

Is the restriction on 3D geographic CRS, that they can not be compound
CRS, simply to make sure the vertical and horizontal use the same base
ellipsoid? Which would seem to mean that they are the only 3D CRS that
are defined with orthogonal horizontal and vertical.

OK. Enough mud scraping and stirring for now.

Thanks,

Ethan