⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] vertical coordinates

From: Jon Blower <jdb>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 21:27:54 +0100

Hi Philip,

> This situation is especially pertinent to the complex realm of coordinate
> reference systems, where it is difficult to focus on one particular facet -
> vertical coordinate systems, say - without also having to consider other
> facets - horizontal coordinate systems, geodetic datums, ellipsoids,
> projections, and so on. It's an all-or-nothing kind of problem domain.

This is a very good point - in fact ISO 19111 says that you can't
separate horizontal and vertical CRSs in some cases. I'm wary of
making such proposals myself because I frankly don't understand all
the issues properly (we need some geodesists or GIS experts or
something). So it's a tricky one.

Cheers, Jon