⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF procedures: some observations

From: Jon Blower <jdb>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 12:12:32 +0100

Dear Jonathan,

Yes, I will try to stick it out but I'll have to wait till I have some
more time! I'm glad the question of funding is being addressed and
this at least gives me hope that there might be less burden on all of
us in future. I wonder if the "CF day" at GO-ESSP (or part of it)
could be devoted to thrashing out ideas for funding sources and
agreeing a skeleton proposal? My opinion is that this is more
important than questions of governance etc.

I agree, it is not obvious who should support CF, despite the large
number of beneficiaries. How about a NERC Knowledge Exchange
proposal? The KE Guide for Applicants cites the following example of
a proposal that is in scope for this call:

"Special data management: substantial amounts of data are generated
from research and often published in ways that are not easily
available or meaningful to potential users. Funds are available to
support work to convert the data into a form that can be readily
used."

This isn't exactly what we're after - we're developing the standards
rather than converting the data, but I think there is potential here
for a case if we can frame it correctly and get users on board.

Best wishes,
Jon